Friday, June 12, 2009

Raised Planting Beds

With the main veggie garden planted, I'm moving on to the raised beds.

I'm a bit embarrassed by the condition of this one, but in years past it has been used as a cutting garden so there are miscellaneous seeds all over the place in there.

Untitled

Step 1: Propane torch (organic weed killer)...

Untitled

Untitled

After raking out the now dead weeds and smoothing out the soil, I applied some corn gluten, an organic pre-emergent weed blocker.

Untitled

Untitled

A nice neighbor gave us a seedling tomato plant of her favorite variety, Hungarian Pink, so I've placed that in the middle...

Untitled

It will be flanked on each side by cantaloupe, which I'm starting from seed. Since I've already applied the pre-emergent weed control and I don't want that to interfere with my cantaloupe seeds, I've used untreated soil to build the mounds and placed the seeds themselves in Jiffy Pots. This will allow them to get a good start, unimpeded by the corn gluten.

Untitled

I'll be growing peas on the backdrop, so I've built this support structure out of bamboo, zip ties, and jute twine. The peas are starting indoors and should be ready to plant next week.

Untitled

On to the next raised bed. This one will have zucchini, started from seed in the same manner as the cantaloupe.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment